Department: Marketing / Patron Services
Type: Part-time / Exempt
Hours: Hours vary based on each week’s concert schedule.
Each shift is approximately 3.5-4 hours long.
Supervisor: Manager, Patron Services
Compensation: Minimum wage ($9.70/hour through 12/30/17)
*** NOTE: This is a “rolling-need” position, in that the number of current openings vary at any one time. We want to respect your time; before submitting a resume, reach out to the contact listed below and inquire whether there are current openings.
The RPO Patron Services Center manages patron relations and ticketing, as well as house management for all Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra concerts.
For all performances at Kodak Hall (Philharmonics, Pops and Special Concerts), the Patron Services Center becomes mobile, reopening 90 minutes prior to the performance at the Eastman Theatre Box Office (ETBO) at 433 E. Main Street. For Sunday Matinee and OrKIDstra concerts (Sunday’s, 2pm), ticket sales open 1 hour prior to the concert at Hochstein Performance Hall.
The environment prior to the concert can be fast-paced, with Representatives focused on rapid (but friendly) tickets sales. For concerts occurring in Kodak Hall, we remain in the ETBO through the end of intermission, allowing patrons to take care of other questions or ticket requests during this break.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Concert ticket sales and customer service.
- Assistance with remote box office setup, including Will Call operations. Responsible for break-down of workstations post-intermission.
- Retail sales assistance (ie. artist merchandise or holiday concert merchandise) as needed.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be articulate, outgoing and confident in communication with patrons.
- Follow-through and communication to management regarding issues encountered with patrons during walk-up sales.
- Ability to work and solve problems independently with support from the manager on duty.
- Ability to maintain composure while in stressful situations.
- Comfortable and competent with learning new software quickly. The Paciolan nationwide ticketing software is used to process all ticket sales.
- Professional yet friendly demeanor and excellent verbal communication skills.
Hours / Pay:
- Minimum wage – currently $9.70 per hour through 12/30/17
- Part-time Employment.
- Hours vary according to each week’s concert schedule.
- Exact end time can vary depending on length of first half + intermission.
- If assistance for large-scale merchandise sales post-concert is necessary, staff will receive advanced notice and may decline if the later shift conflicts with daytime responsibilities.
- Typical Shifts:
- Thursday (Phils): 5:30 – 9:30p
- Friday & Saturday (Pops + Phils): 6 – 9:30/10p
- Sunday (Sunday Matinee + OrKIDstra): 12:30 – 3:30p (at latest)
- Currently, the RPO does not subsidize the parking costs for employees – full time or part time.
- Parking options include:
- Free parking – Evenings and weekends around Kodak Hall & free open-air lots around Hochstein.
- $3-$5 for a 4 hour time period at open-air lots at the corner of Gibbs & E. Main (AllPro Parking) or by Spot Coffee (Fairway Parking).
The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra:
The RPO presents up to 130 concerts per year, serving nearly 150,000 people through ticketed events, education and community engagement activities, and concerts in schools and community centers throughout the region. The orchestra has been recognized nationally for artistic and organizational excellence, creativity, and innovation. Since its founding by George Eastman in 1922 and now in its 92nd year, the RPO has remained committed to maintaining its high standard of artistic excellence, unique tradition of musical versatility, and deep commitment to education and community engagement.
To apply, candidates may send a resume and brief email or cover letter
to Emily Gisleson.
** Please reference the Representative job title with the specific shift –
Day vs. Concert – in the email subject line **
Mail: 108 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14604
Phone: (585) 454-7311 x233