Sunday Matinées, OrKIDStra Series + More Specials
New Subscriptions Available Friday, May 27
~Music Connects: At the Record Archive* on Friday, June 3, 4-7 PM~
Rochester, NY – The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO) announced the majority of its 2022-23 Season on February 24, with subscription renewals opening that day. Today, it announces next season’s remaining 10 concerts, with new subscriptions going on sale Friday, May 27 via mail order form, online at rpo.org/subscribe, or by phone at 585-454-2100 (Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.). Subscribers have numerous packages to choose from that include incentives such as discounts, seating choices, a free concert, and discounted single tickets before they go on sale to the general public. Single tickets for the 2022-23 Season will go on sale July 19.
The 2022-23 Sunday Matinee Series at 2 p.m. in Nazareth College’s Beston Hall at Glazer Music Performance Center includes:
· Mozart, Mendelssohn & Martin on Sunday, September 25, 2022: RPO Music Director Andreas Delfs conducts a Mendelssohn String Symphony TBA; Martin’s Petite Symphonie Concertante, Op. 54; and Mozart’s Symphony No. 39 in E♭ Major, K. 543. Features RPO soloists.
· Haydn, Mendelssohn & Stravinsky on Sunday, December 11, 2022: Maestro Delfs leads a Mendelssohn String Symphony TBA, Haydn’s Sinfonia Concertante in B♭ Major, and Stravinsky’s Pulcinella Suite. Features RPO soloists.
· Mozart, Rossini & Shostakovich on Sunday, March 26, 2023: Rising-star Guest Conductor Valentina Peleggi leads Rossini’s L’Italiana in Algeri Overture; Mozart’s Flute and Harp Concerto in C Major, K. 299; and Shostakovich’s Chamber Symphony, Op. 73a. Features RPO soloists.
· Mozart, Gershwin & Ravel on Sunday, May 28, 2023: Eastman School of Music’s Professor of Conducting and Ensembles Neil Varon conducts Ravel’s Five Pieces from Ma Mère l’Oye; Gershwin’s Clarinet Preludes; and Mozart’s Symphony No. 36 in C Major, K. 425 “Linz.” Features RPO Principal Clarinet Kenneth Grant (The Robert J. Strasenburgh Chair).
The 2022-23 OrKIDStra Series at 2 p.m. in Hochstein Performance Hall includes:
· Halloween Tricks and Treats on Sunday, October 30, 2022: Bring your little ghouls and goblins for a philhar-monster mash! Costumes are strongly encouraged for this hauntingly fun afternoon.
· Fun Frozen Favorites on Sunday, January 22, 2023: Warm up with your RPO and celebrate the sounds of winter with musical highlights from Disney’s Frozen and other frigid favorites.
· Alice in OrchestraLand on Sunday, April 23, 2023: Go down the rabbit hole with Alice and follow her adventures as she meets Lewis Carroll’s beloved characters – White Rabbit, Mad Hatter, Queen of Hearts, and more.
· Symphonic Safari on Sunday, June 4, 2023: Grab your binoculars and be on the lookout for elephants, lions, and more on this African adventure. Favorite stuffed animal friends are welcome.
Two Special Concerts have also been added:
· RPO + Eastman Present: The Kodak Hall Centennial Concert on Saturday, September 24, 2022, at 8 p.m. in Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre features a new work by film, TV, concert, jazz composer, and Eastman alum Jeff Beal (House of Cards, Monk, Rome) commissioned for the occasion and conducted by Beal himself. It will be performed on stage by the RPO as well as the Eastman School of Music’s Philharmonia spread throughout the Hall. RPO Music Director Andreas Delfs and Eastman Professor of Conducting and Ensembles Neil Varon will also lead works on this exciting program.
· SAVE THE DATE: RPO Centennial Concert on Friday, May 5, 2023, at 8 p.m. in Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre will celebrate 100 years of Rochester’s world-class orchestra being the heart and soul of music, community, education, and culture in our region. This Special next season will kick off the RPO’s Centennial Season in 2023-24.
These new concerts join an already jam-packed 2022-23 Season of 31 Philharmonic, Pops, Holiday, and Special concerts – not counting our many summer, education, and community outreach performances — that continue the orchestra’s important mission to create even closer community connections through diverse, accessible, and engaging programming.
*To celebrate the just-announced Summer concerts, these new additions to the 2022-23 Season, and new subscriptions opening, the RPO will hold a free community event called Music Connects: At the Record Archive in the Backroom Lounge @ Record Archive (33 1/3 Rockwood St., 14610) on Friday, June 3 from 4-7 PM. Performing onstage at 5 p.m. will be the RPO String Quartet with Perrin Yang, playing music by Pink, Guns N’ Roses, Coldplay, The Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, and more. The new Rochester PILSharmonic from Three Heads Brewing will be available, along with RPO Summer and 2022-23 Season/Subscription information, discounts, giveaways, and more.
2022-23 Sponsors: Since the 2019-2000 Season, M & T Bank has been the RPO’s Season Sponsor, joined by Rochester Regional Health as Season Co-Sponsor. The Pops Series is sponsored by Wegmans and Canandaigua National Bank, and Pittsford Federal Credit Union is the Specials sponsor.
ABOUT THE RPO: The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO) has been committed to enriching and inspiring our community through the art of music since its origins in 1922. The RPO presents approximately 150 concerts and broadcasts a year, serving up to 170,000 people through ticketed events, education and community engagement activities, and concerts in schools and community centers throughout the region. Music Director Andreas Delfs joins the ranks of former notable RPO music directors, including Erich Leinsdorf, David Zinman, Mark Elder, and Conductor Laureate Christopher Seaman. Principal Pops Conductor Jeff Tyzik, now in his 28th season, has earned a national reputation for excellence in pops programming during his tenure with the RPO. The RPO reaches more than 15,000 youth through its specific education programs.
Media please note: High-resolution images and other media assets for the 2022-23 Season can be found at https://tinyurl.com/yuj7ktfz. Interviews and photo/footage opportunities are also available.